Sunday, April 08, 2012

It's Not As Easy As It Used To Be

I was out with some middle aged women friends of mine the other evening, listening to stories from lives I cannot contemplate.

Hearing all about the Moulin Rouge themed hen night, the cab driver's reaction to having such a break from the norm, or was this the norm for a Saturday night?

They were fifteen women and one man, a gay man, good-looking ("why are they always so good-looking? It's such a waste").

"Was he camp?" I said, winding her up.

"Oh no, he was well-built, all-man. You would never tell from looking at him."

And that is how things are nowadays, you can't tell from looking at people.

6 comments:

  1. Not like the good old days eh

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, no. You could tell then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:28 AM

    I was talking to my friend Melissa the other night who is going on a hen weekend to Ibiza. They're all getting dressed up as schoolgirls.

    Some women's ideas of fun are an inner circle hell to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer to be the only woman in a room full of gay men.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looby - I don't think there's much to choose between hen nights and stag nights.

    MJ - I would think the conversation would be more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'the english hated me for being effeminate, and, in a country where women are to some extent still despised, this attitude has not altered'

    ReplyDelete