Saturday, March 06, 2010

Save The Khan

We fell asleep last night whilst watching our recording of BBC4's Heavy Metal Britannia. I'm not much of a heavy fan now but I was there at the start of the musical revolution that was the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal, or NWOBHM as it was imaginatively known in rock weekly Sounds.

We went to see bands such as Vardis, Angel Witch, Praying Mantis and Iron Maiden (whatever happened to them?).

But my favourite nights out were in the Red Lion in Gravesend watching local heroes, Triarchy. I knew the singer/bassist and drummer and I don't know if you've experienced it but it's a very strange feeling seeing kids you've grown up with suddenly onstage in front of you. As a member of the audience in this situation you can't really let yourself go in the way you would in front of, say, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band or Lionel Richie. You've got to stay cool in front of your peers.

This is the band's self-financed single, Save The Khan, which has a lot more going on in it than you might expect. The Ultravox influence is undeniable!

6 comments:

  1. I went to see Angel Witch a few years ago. Kevin Heybourne was the only original member in the band and they were promoting a new album which nevertheless sunk without trace.
    But they played the whole of their first album which is, let's face it, the only thing of theirs worth listening to.
    "Burn The White Witch!"
    They supported Samson on the night, who were pants.

    I know what you mean about keeping your cool at a friend's gig. My mate knows the guitarist from Conflict and you simply have to not act like a div. But I'm sure the band themselves would love it if everyone (mates included) would go nuts during the set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I'll be going to see Venom soon!
    "Look at me, Satan's Child" - wasn't that one of theirs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:55 PM

    My (now) brother-in-law was in one of the more obscure NWoBHM bands, Toad the Wet Sprocket. I must have seen them 5,000 times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gravesend? Was Rog there?
    Pubs are the ideal venue for Heavy Metal .... but surely you always stay cool Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fell asleep listening to Heavy Metal? - it must be your age!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Istvanski - The last heavy band I saw was More. They were so loud I retired to the upstairs bar where I watched Lemmy play Space Invaders. (I may have told this story before).

    Bob - I remember the name well but never heard them. Maybe I should have taken Tommy Vance more seriously.

    Kaz - I think Rog was in the folk club down the road. I can remember headbanging only once, to Freebird at a birthday party with a stomach full of cider. It didn't end well.

    Ziggi - Have you heard hairy Brummies speak? It's like Mogadon.

    ReplyDelete