Saturday, October 11, 2008

I Don't Want A Holiday In The Sun....

In these troubled times, I have to take vicarious pleasures, mainly from my mum's experiences on her holidays.

Last week she went on a cruise of the Greek Islands. Kind of island hopping for the financially secure retired working class lucky enough to be born at the right time to have company pensions. Not, then, your Lonely Planet set.

"I've had a cold all week so I've had to struggle through each day. It poured down in Istanbul. We went to a massive market where there were nothing but jewellery stalls. You'd hate it, Geoff. The Greek islands were lovely, especially the last one, Santorini. You can go to the top of the island by donkey or cable car. I was too nervous. Our Australian friends who we met on board took the cable car and had to wait an hour to get the cable car back down to the harbour. The staff on the ship were ok, but they weren't as caring as staff we've had on previous cruises. That's the trouble nowadays, there isn't the same level of care you used to get. We had a four berth cabin so it was very comfortable though I didn't get much sleep what with the cold. The food on board was very average. We've had better. The journey back was a bit of a disaster. The cab to the airport that your step dad booked online didn't turn up and we had to book another cab, sharing with the Australian couple. It cost us 93 euros! Then when we got to the airport they would let us take our brandy on board. All because it wasn't bought in the airport! Your step dad was furious, I thought he was going to hit the bloke who confiscated our brandy. He was swearing at him and saying how the Greeks are thieves. Then we got on the plane and I got my usual aisle seat and a toddler was sitting behind me constantly kicking the back of my seat. I was furious. I turned to your step dad and said in a loud voice, "This toddler behind me is kicking my seat!" And you know what his mother said? She said she couldn't control him. She said have I ever tried to control a child of this age? I was furious. I could have smashed her face in, the four eyed cow."

Last night I discovered a way of experiencing that holiday feeling in the comfort of my own bathroom. It will come in handy in the forthcoming years of the 21st century depression.

As you run your bath, step into it. Close your eyes and walk on the spot, splish splashing the water. It will feel as if you are walking in the shallow water of the sea on a tropical island. And the rushing water from the taps will sound like lapping waves.

Maybe.

15 comments:

  1. What a great start to any post. The title reminds me of one of the cherished Sex Pistol songs from the late 70's.

    ...." He was swearing at him and saying how the Greeks are thieves."

    Pure class.

    One of the best anecdotes I have read this week, by far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For extra fun, add a snorkel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jimmy - My mum's still got that ability to say how good her holidays were then go through a list of all the things that went wrong.

    MJ - Are snorkels allowed on nudist beaches?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mum proves my point - You never remember the good times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought all holidays were meant to be like that, otherwise where's the fun?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "As you run your bath, step into it...and walk on the spot, splish splashing the water...."

    Watch out for the jellyfish, Geoff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mum does that too - passes judgement on every fellow traveller in 'the group' often describing them "as the sort of person that takes over and get's everyone organised - can't stand it - I don't want to do what everyone else is doing - and his wife was soo mimsy". At which point I think to ask: "then why go on a group tour then"?! I hope I never get like that - mind you - I'm not one for group travel like that. The thought of going on a cruise makes me want to do a Reggie Perrin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kaz - That's so sad. But sometimes, even the bad times are good.

    Ziggi - My recent ones have involved me having near nervous breakdowns. A bit of anger at other people would have been a welcome relief.

    Chris - In my world of paradise, jellyfish are as harmless as Chivers jelly.

    Romo - Me too. It's nothing to do with the age of the people (it's not as if I make friends with people my own age). Just having to talk to Alan and Maureen from Brentwood for two solid weeks is not my idea of a relaxing time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chivers jellyfish indeed...there you are on your nudist beach (unless you wear your swimwear in the bath) when you hear this music daa-dum daa-dum and the water starts to thrash and heave and before you know where you are you've lost a member...

    I should stick to the shower and holidays in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our shower head is waist height so I'd have to sit down. It'd be like holidaying in a leaking rowboat on Loch Lomond.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can get out of the sea but I can't get out of my bath.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you only used the cold tap and tipped your waste bin in the bath first you could emulate a British holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sharon - I go into deeper water in my bath than I do in the sea.

    Murph - Maybe add some grey colouring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheeky/dozy cow. Evidently she couldn't be bothered to control a child of that age.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe her little darling is encouraged to be creative.

    ReplyDelete