Saturday, December 01, 2007

Dead Beat



This is me "On The Road", one weekend in The Midlands about twelve years ago. Betty dressed me up as a hep cat. Didn't I look cool, daddio?

Those were weekends literally On The Road, mainly the M25, M1 and M6. Drives across Cannock Chase, through Alpine glades and past B&Qs. Walks in the countryside in the daytime, eating in curry houses and drinking in pubs in the evenings. Followed by a Sunday afternoon drive home, perked up by a pot of coffee at Northampton's premier service station.

Now the furthest I usually drive at weekends is to ASDA, a five minute drive away. If I feel tired, which I inevitably do in the late afternoon, I have a kip. I have less energy but I need less.

No longer a hep cat. More an old, comfortable moggie.

11 comments:

  1. You make me think of San Francisco - riding the street car home from work Halloween night, sitting next to an entire family dressed as Beats.
    Meow, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the discerning fool's fancy dress costume of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I presume that:
    i) That's Kerouac you are reading
    ii) Betty used her eyeliner for the facial hair.
    iii)You were wearing your work shoes.
    iv) You didn't know that wallpaper design would soon be back in fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you mean that you actually got paid by your firm for looking like that 12 years ago?
    Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ????
    is there a picture in this post that I can't see that makes it make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kaz -

    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Certainly not. They were my going out shoes.
    4. I presume that wallpaper's gone by now. Shame as it was vintage.

    Istvanski - That's not my work outfit! I was just starting to wear a suit then (coming out of short trousers).

    Ziggi - You're lucky if you can't see it. It's not a pretty sight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. iii)You were wearing your work shoes.

    Ha, that's what I thought too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look. I had one pair of shoes for work. And one pair for going out. So what if they were identical!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is timewarp heaven. There are items in this picture that represent the last 5 decades of the 20th century. (Apart from the shoes maybe...)

    Only in the Midlands.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The decor was from the 70s. I was from the 80s and 90s. The beats from the 50s and 60s.

    You're right!

    ReplyDelete