Saturday, February 07, 2009

Bollocks To Them All

Claire Rayner on Comment Is Free, demanding her mates a say on Thought For The Day.

Just a few points, Claire.

1. "Yet the National Secular Society and the British Humanist Association, representing the 46% of the British population who belong to no religion..." No you do not. You represent yourselves. Don't bring me into it.

2. "The BBC can't claim it is offering what most people want. The secular society points out that its 46% of the population is more than all the minority faiths put together." If the BBC just offered what most people want, imagine how shit its programmes would be. One of the good things about the BBC is that they cater for minorities.

3. "Among Today's 6.6 million listeners there could be considerable interest in secular humanism. They need to know about groups where they could feel at home." For heaven's sake, Claire, do you really think people listening to Radio 4 who have an unnatural obsession with not believing have never heard of the BHA?

By the way, Claire. When Thought For The Day is broadcast, at 7.45 a.m. I'm either just about to board a train or taking a couple of paracetamol in bed. I couldn't give a toss what's on the radio. But I'd rather listen to Thought For The Day than the presumably secular Chris Moyles Show. Just.

11 comments:

  1. Blimey, d'ya reckon Claire would have me on Thought For The Day to talk about sanitary wear?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought for the day. 66% of atheists are just as irritating as god-botherers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scarlet - Claire's very broad-minded. I'm sure she'll squeeze you in for a spot.

    Vicus - You can just imagine one of their meetings. I don't think they'd be much of a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humanist A: God doesn't exist.

    Humanist B: You're right there.

    (Pause.)

    Humanist B: Fancy a pint?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lux Interior: "I'm a Humanist Fly/An' I don't know why..."

    Brundelfly: "I an an insect who once dreamed he was a Humanist..."

    Nah...nah...it just don't work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But Geoff - Over the years Claire Rayner has talked and written so much bollocks, that this is probably the nearest I'll ever get to agreeing with her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tim - Where are the humanist stories and songs? I want to be swept up and carried away from my indifference. I want to shout at the top of my voice "I don't believe in anything! I am only here because my parents had a shag and my death will be the end of me! Come and join us!"

    Kek - The Lord of the flies will rise again. I wish I could remember the name of the band who supported The Cramps when I saw them. They were hilarious.

    Kaz - But who are the humanist characters? And what is the humanist text? Thought For The Day is for religious people to compare the modern day with ancient times. It should have absolutely no relevance for non-believers. Some Christian bloke on the news a couple of months ago was happy at the atheist bus campaign because it was keeping the debate alive. He said the real enemy of religion was apathy. The BHA isn't a massive organisation because most people couldn't give a shit. We don't need Darwin to prove to us those books are all fairy stories. Even when I was an eight year old our school's vicar was someone to take the piss out of because what he was saying had absolutely no relevance to our lives. I'm not going to argue with someone who is talking about miracles. I find the history of religions interesting but I don't like being preached to by either believers or non-believers. Oh Christ, aren't I going on?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blimey tou are going on a bit Geoff.

    I thoroughly agree with the last sentence of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, Rog. I've calmed down now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm just a god-fearing athiest. However I do think most people were a lot nicer (and more socially-cohesive as a society) when they were C of E and not ashamed of it.

    Secularism seems to go hand-in-hand with the selfishness most of us suffer from - the 'because I'm worth it' factor. Mind you I blame Maggie T fault with her breeding of the 'F*ck you' generation, of which I am sadly an appalled (if not paid up) member.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is no such thing as society.

    ReplyDelete